Testimonial of an Unvaccinated Woman
I absolutely loved reading this article because it gave a very different and personal perspective on the hazard of not receiving vaccinations. A woman from the UK shares her childhood experiences in effort to show people what really can happen in result to not receiving inoculations. In one sentence she explains her experience, "I had the healthiest childhood imaginable. And yet I was sick all the time." She grew up in a family who fed her an amazingly healthy diet: Homegrown foods, vitamins, raw milk, watered down juice, and no sugary, junk food. In addition to this, her parents did not believe in vaccinations and because of this, Amy contracted many diseases: Measles, rubella, mumps, whooping cough, chicken pox, and many more. Although this particular family lived a very healthy lifestyle, diet and physical activity are not enough to prevent harmful diseases. She goes on to discuss how being sick all the time changed her as an adult and she did not want her children to go through the same experience. She allows them to be vaccinated as well as receives flu shots herself in attempt to prevent experiencing the terror and unpleasant illnesses of her childhood.
This article has value to my project because it adds a more personal dimension to my research. Instead of just boring statistics, this puts the situation into an experience that people can relate to.
Reference:
APA:
Parker, A. (2014, January 6). Growing Up Unvaccinated. Retrieved February 04, 2016, from http://www.slate.com/articles/life/family/2014/01/growing_up_unvaccinated_a_healthy_lifestyle_couldn_t_prevent_many_childhood.html
MLA:
Parker, Amy. "Growing Up Unvaccinated." Slate. 6 Jan. 2014. Web. 04 Feb. 2016.
I am so glad that you found this to be able to share in your research. I love that it adds a personal side to things. It is no longer just numbers and statistics that people hear. I know this isn't related to this article but did you see the article about the baby who died after being vaccinated? Maybe you should look into that.
ReplyDelete